Oct 19, 2012

Experiment #1: Balloons and Cheerios!











In my first attempt to study static electricity, I will test it using a balloon and a Cheerio. My hypothesis is that the balloon will essentially have no effect on the Cheerio. I say this because I doubt that the cereal is charged, making it neutral. Wouldn’t this mean that regardless of the charge of the balloon, the Cheerio should remain unaffected since it is neutral, therefore not being attracted or repelled by a positive or negative charge? Let’s investigate this confusing conundrum!

I will charge the balloon with my hair and bring it near the Cheerio to see if the charged balloon effects it.

Materials:
           - a balloon or a bright pink comb
           - a Cheerio (I have 2 just in case!)
           - some thread 
           - tape

Procedure:
1. Blow up the balloon.
2. Tie the piece of thread to the Cheerio. The thread will be hanging from the table.
3. Tape the thread and Cheerio to the table, so that it hangs freely.
4. Rub the balloon vigorously on your hair in order to charge the balloon. (You may also use a bright pink comb if you wish.)
5. Very slowly, bring the balloon near the hanging Cheerio. As the balloon approaches the Cheerio, watch what happens to the Cheerio!











I am shocked! It seems that the hanging Cheerio moves towards the balloon. But how is this possible?! You see, the balloon becomes negatively charged when it is rubbed against my hair. Electrons travel from my hair onto the balloon. This negatively charged balloon attracts the neutral Cheerio. The balloon attracts the positive components of the Cheerio and thus, can hold the hanging Cheerio in mid-swing.




1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! I had to do this exact project for school... thanks for helping with my research lol:)

    ReplyDelete